Every week, Vishal Savalani will provide us with a weekly round-up of all of Europe's top leagues and the action that's taken place - so you guys can stop complaining about the focus on the Premier League now! (Ha!) He'll give us an overall view of things and some pointers.
- Best game of the weekend was no doubt the Lyon vs PSG game which ended in a 4-4 draw. PSG scored first, Lyon equalised and then scored another two goals to lead 3-1. Gomis scored a great goal and Bastos did as well, whose goal in my opinion was one of the best goals of the weekend. Nene then grabbed one back for PSG with a penalty to make it 3-2 at HT. Briand scored to make it 4-2 to Lyon. PSG bounced back with Ceara coming off the bench to score, and incredibly in the 94th minute, Hoarau scored with his head to make it 4-4. It's interesting to see which strikers Blanc is gonna take to the Euros. Remy and Benzema are definitely going. The next 2 will be between Gomis, Hoarau, Giroud, Saha and maybe Cisse. Lyon's coach Remi Garde (ex Arsenal player) and president Aulas complained about the ref. The coach said there shouldn't have been more than 2:30 mins of stoppage time (4 mins were allotted) and Aulas claimed that the ref was not objective.
- Montpellier beat Bordeaux with Utaka scoring. They're now top of the table, leading PSG by one point.
- The battle for third place is tight with 6-7 teams fighting for it: Lille, Lyon, Marseille, St-Etienne, Toulouse, Rennes, Bordeaux. Apart from Toulouse, none of these teams won. Marseille lost 1-0 at Brest. They were unbeaten in 16 games. Lille conceded a late goal at Rennes to draw 1-1. It's been a good week for them as they played 3 games away from home and ended up with 2 wins and a draw.
- Ronaldo scored a wonderful back heel goal (29th in la liga) against Rayo Valecano. Ramos should have been sent off for a stupid foul. Overall Real were lucky to win. Rayo had 3 great chances and should have at least got a point from it. Even Mourinho admitted that Rayo were unlucky. When asked by the journalists if it was his first back heel goal, Ronaldo reminded them that he had scored one in Manchester (2008 vs Villa).
- Barcelona won 2-1 at Atletico Madrid. Falcao leveled the score but Messi took a quick free kick that surprised Atletico's defense as well as their keeper Courtois (on loan from Chelsea). The gap is still 10 points, and Guardiola has still not signed a contract extension.
- Third place Valencia lost at home to Sevilla. WTF is happening to Soldado?
- Levante won 2-1 at Espanyol to claim back their 4th spot.
- My boy Llorente scored for Bilbao but they ended up sharing the points with Villareal.
- Fernando Torres and Pedro have not been called by Del Bosque.
- The game we were all looking forward to ended in a 1-1 draw at the San Siro between Juventus and AC Milan. Matri scored after Nocerino gave Milan the lead. However this game was full of incidents. First, Muntari had a goal wrongly disallowed. He headed the ball which crossed the line, but the referee didn't give it. Matri scored a clear goal for Juve which was wrongly disallowed for an offside that didn't exist. Mexes hit Boriello too which wasn't seen by the ref. He now risks a 3 match suspension. Milan lead by one point but Juve have a game in hand. They remain unbeaten this season in the Serie A. Apparently, Antonio Conte (Juve's coach) was assaulted by some Milan people too.
- Udinese won. Di Natale scored and provided an assist too. They're sitting in third place.
- Roma lost 4-1 to Atlanta while Lazio won. Next week is the Eternal City derby between Lazio and Roma.
- Things are bad for Ranieri's side. They have lost their last 6 or 7 games and have failed to score in 5 games. This time, Lavezzi and Napoli beat Inter. Napoli are fighting for a CL spot, while Inter now sit in 7th place. Ranieiri refused to resign and hinted that Sneijder should be on the bench for a while.
- Miroslav Klose scored his 12th goal of the season for Lazio.
- Bayern were criticised by Rumminiege after their CL loss in Switzerland. Players like Ribery appeared to be in conflict with their coach. However, he responded in style by scoring 2 goals as Bayern beat Schalke at their top of the table clash.
- Gladbach drew 1-1, while Dortmund won their 6th or 7th game in a row. They lead the table by 4 points or so. Gladbach are doing extremely well this season and are in third place.
- Bayern play Leverkusen next week.
- You guys follow it so not much to say in terms of games. Good results for United, City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Fulham, WBA...
- QPR keep getting red cards.
- Odemwingie scored 2. He's now scored 5 goals in his last 2 games for WBA.
-Gutierez scored a cracker for Newcastle but they drew at home to Wolves.
- Balotelli scored a goal for Raffaella.
- Pool won the Carling Cup. Oh yeah, John Henry is a lucky man (google Linda Pizzuti)
- Great performance by Arsenal on Sunday. Being 2-0 down at home to Spurs and coming back to score 5 goals showed loads of determination from the Gunners. RVP is the player of the season in my opinion, what a goal! Set up a goal too. Good performance by Sagna too to score and provide an assist too. Arsenal are now 7 points away from Spurs.
- Also well done to Scholes and Giggs. It's the first time, two players of that age score in the same game. 2 points behind city and next Sunday's clash at Spurs will be interesting. A draw wouldn't be bad, but considering City have an easy game (vs Bolton) on Saturday, a win is mandatory for United.